John Elson, Ph.D
Title: Associate Professor and Faculty Lead
College: College of Business Administration and College of Information Technology
TUI Phone (extension): 714.816.0366 x2178 (office)
TUI e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Personal Commentary: I can’t give you brains, but I can give you a diploma.” (from the Wizard of Oz)
“What value is knowledge if you don’t or can’t use it?”
PhD - The Ohio State University, Department of Industrial, Welding, and Systems Engineering; Major Area: Decision Theory; Minor Areas: Artificial Intelligence and Microeconomics
- MSIE - The Ohio State University
- BIE - The Ohio State University
Dissertation (indexed searchable): Expert and Novice Performance in an Industrial Engineering Scaled-World Simulation
Teaching Interests/ Areas of Expertise (indexed searchable):
Current TUI College: College of Business Administration
Design of Learning Technologies
Cognition and Bounded Rationality
Intelligent Enterprises and Organizational Systems
Decision Making and Strategy
Research in Progress:
Elson, J.L, (in preparation). “Proposed Learning Aids in an Industrial Engineering Virtual World PBL Simulation”
Published Articles, Conferences, Papers, Presentations & Workshops:
- Elson, J.L., (2006). Expert and Novice Performance in an Industrial Engineering Virtual World Simulation, Dissertation.com, Boca Raton, FL
- Journal Publications & Conference Papers (Refereed Except as Noted)
- Elson, J.L., (2010), “Enterprise Architecture and Competitive Analysis.” Intellectbase International Consortium peer-reviewed conference proceedings, Vol. 10, Houston, TX. March. (90-95).
- Elson, J.L., Mount-Campbell, C., and Woods, D. (2009). “Expert Problem Solving in a Manufacturing Virtual World Simulation”. Journal of Research in Innovative Teaching, Vol. II, Iss. 1.
- Elson, J.L. (2008). “Using a Virtual World Simulation for Classroom Research in Engineering Ethics”, Journal of Applied Global Research, Vol. 1, Iss. 2.
- Elson, J.L. and Evans, H. (2008). "A Systems Engineering Program Tailored Specifically for Relevance to Multiple Disciplines and Industries". International Conference on Engineering Education – ICEE 2008 peer-reviewed conference proceedings, Budapest and Pecs, Hungary, July 27-31, 2008.
- Elson, J.L. (2008). “Classroom Research using a Virtual World Simulation in Engineering Ethics.” Intellectbase International Consortium peer-reviewed conference proceedings, Vol. 2, Nashville, TN. May 28-30. (243-251).
- Elson, J.L., Stacy, J., Turner, B., Zimmerman, R. (2008). “Using Enterprise Architecture to Gain Strategic Alignment for Project Management in Information Technology”. Proceedings of the International Computer and Technology Conference. San Diego, CA: April 1-3, 2008.
- Elson, J.L., Mount-Campbell, C., and Woods, D. (2007). “A review of expertise and problem solving: A research proposal for engineering education using scaled-world simulations”. Presented at the National University Faculty Research Conference, La Jolla, CA: Sept. 5, 2007.
- Elson, J.L., Viswanathan, S. and Evans, H. (2007). “Engineering Management within a Systems Engineering Program”. Proceedings of the American Society for Engineering Education Annual Conference and Exposition, Honolulu, HI: June 25-27, 2007.
- Elson, J. L. (2003). “The Excellent Manufacturing Company: a scaled-world training simulation for expert decision-making research”. Simulation Conference of the Institute of Industrial Engineers, Las Vegas, NV: March 31, 2003. (non-refereed conference.)
Honors and Awards:
- Tau Beta Pi
- Alpha Pi Mu
- Reviewer of conference papers: ASEE Conference, 2007, 2009; IMECE Conference, 2007.
- Chair, 2007 INCOSE-LA Mini-Conference, Los Angeles
- Chair, Speaker Meetings, INCOSE, Los Angeles Chapter
University Service/Committee Memberships
- Chair, MBA Program Review Committee, Trident University International, 2010-2011
- Chair, LMS Review Committee, Trident University International, 2010-2011
- National University President’s Commission on Strategic Enrollment Management, January – April, 2008.
- NU Faculty Senate: Chair of Academic Policy and Planning Committee, July 2007-June 2008; Chair of the Online Committee, July 2008 - Present
Current Professional and Academic Affiliations or Memberships:
- Academy of Management
- Cognitive Science Society
- Intellectbase International Consortium Editorial Board
2009 – Present Associate Professor and Faculty Lead, Trident University International, Cypress, California, College of Business Administration and College of Information Technology
2005 – 2008 Associate Professor and Program Lead Faculty, National University, Los Angeles, California, School of Engineering and Technology
2005 Adjunct Professor, University of South Carolina, Columbia, South Carolina, College of Hospitality, Retail, & Sport Management
2000 – 2004 Senior Faculty, Cardean University/Unext, Deerfield, Illinois, MBA Program
1996 – 2000, Graduate Teaching Associate, The Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio, Department of Industrial, Welding and Systems Engineering.
1992 – 1995, Adjunct Professor, Edison State Community College, Piqua, Ohio, Industrial Management Technology Department.
1988 Adjunct Professor, Sinclair Community College, Dayton, Ohio, Business Dept.
1985 – 1986, Assistant Professor and Coordinator of Industrial Engineering Program, Rockford College, Rockford, Illinois.
Department of Engineering in the Division of Science and Mathematics.
1977 – 1978 Adjunct Professor, Rock Valley Community College, Rockford, Illinois, Industrial Technology Department.
1972 – 1973 Graduate Teaching Associate, The Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio, Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering.
- 2004 - 2005 Managing Director, XQ Learning, LLC., Elk Grove Village, IL
- 1988 - 2002 President & Senior Consultant, Formulus Management Corporation, Elk Grove Village, IL
- 1999 - 2000 Graduate Student Intern, Public Utilities Commission of Ohio, Columbus, OH
- 1995 - 1998 Controller, New Era Auto Company, Versailles, OH
- 1991- 1994 General Manager, Auto Finance, div. Elson Ford, Sidney, OH
- 1986 - 1991 Director of Operations, Elson Ford, Inc., Sidney, OH
- 1984- 1985 Senior Operations Analyst, Sundstrand Advanced Technology Group, Rockford, IL
- 1983- 1984 Manufacturing Engineering Manager, Rockford Products, Rockford, IL
- 1979- 1983 Supervisor of Cost Estimating, Amerock Corp., Rockford, IL
- 1976- 1979 Senior Industrial Engineer, Amerock Corp., Rockford, IL
- 1974- 1976 Vista Volunteer, Action/VISTA(Volunteers in Service to America), Wash., D.C./Ogden, UT