Loading transparency Close


Montgomery GI Bill (Chapter 30)

The MGIB program provides up to 36 months of education benefits. This benefit may be used for degree and certificate programs, flight training, apprenticeship/on-the-job training and correspondence courses. Remedial, deficiency, and refresher courses may be approved under certain circumstances. Generally, benefits are payable for 10 years following your release from active duty. This program is also commonly known as Chapter 30.

Eligibility is determined by the Department of Veterans Affairs. Detailed information regarding eligibility can be found on the GI Bill website at www.gibill.va.gov.

How to Use Your Benefit with Trident University

Submit your VA paperwork to Trident University
Send Trident University a copy of your certificate of eligibility from the VA

  • If you have never applied for your Chapter 30 Education Benefits, visit the VONAPP website and complete the VA application online (VA Form 22-1990).
  • If you have used your Chapter 30 benefit with another school, you will need to transfer your benefits to Trident University with the Change Program/Place of Training application (VA Form 22-1995).
  • You will need to save a copy of the entire application and forward a copy via email to financialaid@trident.edu or via fax to 714-364-9570 Attn: FA Department.

Register for your classes
When you register for your courses at Trident University, choose “VA” as your method of payment. If you are unable to do so, please inform a VA certifying official that you are planning on using your VA benefits for that session.

Settle your Trident tuition
You will be required to settle your tuition with Trident University directly in order for your financial hold to be lifted. To do so, please contact our Finance Department to settle your tuition and have your course materials released. You may contact the Bursars Office at 800-375-9878 ext. 1062.

Verify your enrollment with the VA each month
To receive your funds from the VA you will need to verify your enrollment with the VA on the last calendar day of each month you are enrolled. (Keep in mind that you will receive your first check the month after the session begins.) To verify enrollment, you can log in online https://www.gibill.va.gov/wave/ or call the automated enrollment verification number 877-823-2378.

Payment Rates and Buy-Up Program (“Kickers”)

The monthly benefit paid to you is based on the length of your service (your percentage of eligibility), any Kicker funds you are entitled to, and if you are attending half-time or full time.

For current payment rates please visit the VA’s website

What is the Buy-Up Program “Kickers”?

Some service members may contribute up to an additional $600 to the GI Bill to receive increased monthly benefits. For an additional $600 contribution, you may receive up to $5400 in additional GI Bill benefits. The additional contribution must be made while on active duty. For more information contact your personnel or payroll office.

For current Buy-Up rates please visit the VA’s website.

Top-Up (TA and VA)

Active military students who are receiving active military Tuition Assistance are not eligible to use their VA benefits for the same course for the same session for which they are using their TA. In other words, you cannot “double dip.” If you are using active military tuition Assistance and your TA does not cover the entire cost of your tuition, you may use your VA benefits as Top-Up to cover the remaining balance.

How do I use Top-Up?

To use Top-Up, you must first apply for your VA Education Benefits if you have not done so already. Once you’ve completed the application, go through your Education Center or online portal you use to receive your TA to obtain a Top-Up form. (The form should show total course cost, how much tuition is covered by tuition assistance, and the balance not covered by tuition assistance.) Fax the TA/Top-Up form to the Muskogee, Oklahoma VA Regional Office at 918-781-7863. Be sure to indicate that you are using VA Top Up on the fax cover sheet.

Helpful Links and Phone Numbers

Main VA website http://www.gibill.va.gov/ | 888-442-4551

VONAPP (VA benefits application website) http://vabenefits.vba.va.gov/vonapp/main.asp

Enrollment Verification https://www.gibill.va.gov/wave/index.do | 877-823-2378

VA FAQs https://gibill.custhelp.com/app/answers/list

Other VA benefits 800-827-1000

Direct Deposit 877-838-2778