Dr. Ryan H Dwight
Doctoral Director - College of Health and Human Services
During Dr. Dwight’s tenure he has taught undergraduate, masters and graduate courses in public health, research and policy. He is currently teaching graduate courses in the College of Health and Human Services. He is also Director of the Coastal Water Research Group based in Huntington Beach, California. The groups’ research focuses on the health and economic impacts of coastal water pollution. Dr. Dwight received his B.A. in Biology and Organic Chemistry from U.C. San Diego in 1988, and his doctorate in Environmental Health Science and Policy from U.C. Irvine in 2001. He has worked in academia, the private sector, and for the U.S. government. He was a marine microbiologist and research diver at Scripps Institution of Oceanography where he collected and tested marine organisms for novel pharmaceuticals. He has also worked at the Smithsonian Institution in Washington, D.C. in preparation for the first Earth Summit.
Trident Teaching Excellence Award
- Dr. Dwight was selected from among 58 faculty who were nominated by 89 students in the Spring 2017 quarter.
- Dr. Dwight received the largest number of student nominations (5), and is the only faculty member to be nominated across three different courses at two different program levels across two sessions.
- Bachelor of Science in Health Sciences
- Master of Science in Health Sciences
- Ph.D. in Health Sciences
- Dwight, Catlin, Fernandez, 2012, Amounts and distribution of recreational beach expenditures in southern California, Ocean and Coastal Management, 59(2012):13-19
- Dwight, Caplin, Brinks, Catlin, Buescher, Semenza, 2011. Impacts of variable precipitation on coastal water quality in southern California, Water Environment Research, 83(12):2121-2130
- Brinks, Dwight, Turbow, SharavanaKumar, Semenza, 2009. Health risk of bathing in southern California coastal waters, Archives of Environmental and Occupational Health, 63(3):123-135
- Dwight, R.H., D.B. Baker, J.C. Semenza, B.H. Olson, 2004. Health effects associated with recreational coastal water use in urban vs. rural California, American Journal of Public Health, 94(4):565-567
- Dwight, R.H., J.C. Semenza, D.B. Baker, B.H. Olson, 2002. Association of urban runoff with coastal water quality in Orange County, California, Water Environment Research, 74(1): 82-90
- Pathirana, C., R.H. Dwight, P.R. Jensen, W.H. Fenical, 1991. Structure and synthesis of a new Butanolide from a marine Actinomycete, Tetrahedron Letters, 32(48): 7001-7004