Part-time Faculty - University College
Paul Amundsen has practiced law in Florida for over 35 years, primarily representing business and industry. His practice focused on environmental law, health care law and, generally, government regulation. His career includes partnerships both large and small law firms. In 1992, he founded and for almost 20 years ran his own law firm in Tallahassee, Florida. An accomplished litigator and an authority on expert witnesses and expert testimony, Mr. Amundsen has appeared as lead counsel in dozens of cases before administrative tribunals, state court, and federal court. He has briefed and argued numerous appeals in state and federal courts.
In 2013, Mr. Amundsen relocated to the mid-Atlantic to become regulatory counsel for the largest petroleum refinery on the eastern seaboard. There he handled all legal matters involving government agencies, most notably matters relating to the environment, health and worker safety and corporate social responsibility.
For almost 25 years, Mr. Amundsen has been rated “AV” by the Martindale-Hubbell Legal Directory, a distinction enjoyed by fewer than ten percent of attorneys. It is the highest possible rating reflecting preeminent legal ability and and the highest ethical standards determined through confidential surveys of lawyers and judges. In 2007, Mr. Amundsen was one of the first Florida attorneys to be Board Certified in State and Federal Government and Administrative Practice. He has been a frequent speaker on environmental and administrative law issues and is regarded as an authority on the use and examination of expert witnesses. He is also experienced in professional ethics, having served on the Florida Bar’s Grievance Committee for the Second Judicial Circuit investigating allegations of attorney misconduct. More recently he served as ethics advisor to a prominent statewide law firm.
Mr. Amundsen received his B.A. degree from Elon University with a double major in Religion and Social Science. At Elon, he lettered in varsity baseball. He received his J.D. degree, cum laude, from the Florida State University College of Law. He was Articles Editor for the FSU Law Review.
Before law school, Mr. Amundsen worked in law enforcement for six years. He was a police officer for the Metropolitan Police Department, Washington, D.C. and then a Special Agent for the Florida Department of Law Enforcement.
Today, he and his wife Jean live in northern Delaware in the company of two cats and two retired greyhounds. He loves all sports but especially baseball. He likes fast cars, shoots pool, golf, and has attended dozens of rock concerts. His pleasure reading is mystery or spy stories. His non-fiction choice is military history. He loves working with words and seldom loses at Scrabble. He loves to teach. One of his great pleasures is hearing from attorneys that he once mentored as new law graduates and are now accomplished, successful practitioners.
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration
- General Education
- July 2011, Tallahassee, FL Florida Bar Webinar “Standing Since Agrico Under Chapter 120, Florida Statutes” (Joint presentation with Administrative Law Judge John D.C. Newton)
- June 2011, Orlando, FL Air & Waste Management Association International Conference Panelist: “Regulation of PM - 2.5”
- February 2011 Division of Administrative Hearings Annual Seminar for Administrative Law Judges “Expert Witnesses and Testimony”
- April 2010, Tallahassee, FL Florida Bar: Basic Administrative Law “Getting In the Door; Point of Entry Window; Waiver”
- October 2009, Tallahassee, FL Florida Bar: Practice Before the Division of Administrative Hearings “Expert Witnesses: Selection, Preparation and Examination”
- October 2008, Tallahassee FL Florida Bar, Patricia A. Dore Administrative Law Conference “Agency Action on Recommended Orders”
- November, 2007, Tallahassee, FL Florida Bar: Practice Before the Division of Administrative Hearings “Expert Witnesses: Preparation and Examination”
- October 2006 , Jacksonville, FL Florida Air & Waste Management Association “Legal Defense Update – Lawsuits Under the Clean Air Act”
- April 2006, Tallahassee, FL Florida Bar: Administrative Appeals “Appellate Attorney’s Fees on Judicial Review of Administrative Orders”
Every day is a gift. Make the most of it.
Don't worry about things that you cannot control.
The facts, not the law, drive the outcome of a case.
- AV Rated, Martindale-Hubbell Legal Directory
- Board Certified, State and Federal Government and Administrative Practice
- Past Member of: Elon University
- Board of Visitors
- Alumni Executive Board
- American Bar Association
- Section on Natural Resources and Environment
- Section on Litigation
- Florida Bar
- Environmental and Land Use Section
- Administrative Law Section - Former Member, Executive Board
- Appellate Section
- Health Care Law Section
- Air & Waste Management Assocation
- Former President, Florida Section (first attorney to hold this office)
- Founding President, Big Bend Chapter