Dr. Michele Myers
Part-time Faculty - College of Education
Dr. Michele “Shelly” Myers teaches in the Master of Arts and Doctorate of Education programs at Trident University. With over 25 years of experience in higher education, she has held leadership positions in both academic and student affairs. Individual student success, collaborative initiatives, and innovative problem-solving are core values that direct her work.
She has served as director for a university college overseeing new student transitions to college and retention strategies, academic advising, student leadership development, and adult & commuter student services. She also has experience working in career services, residence life, and new student orientation.
Her scholarly work has focused on collaboration between faculty and student affairs professionals, how these two subcultures define student learning, and other cultural variables that impact their ability to work together. Dr. Myers has been active throughout her career in professional associations, training other higher education professionals and advocating for students’ needs. She has been recognized at the local, state, and national level for her contributions to the student affairs profession, collaborative initiatives, and student advocacy.
- Master of Arts in Education
- Doctor of Education (Ed.D.)
- Myers, M.A. (2013). The acquisition of new student affairs professionals’ beliefs and perceptions about faculty. (EdD, East Carolina University).
- Myers, M.A. (2011). Academic advising. In R. Stultz & J. Adams (Eds.) Focus on success (3rd ed.), (pp. 189-220). Dubuque, IA: Kendall Hunt Publishing Company.
- Myers, M.A. (2010). Academic advising. In R. Stultz & J. Adams (Eds.) Focus on success (2nd ed.), (pp.187-216). Dubuque, IA: Kendall Hunt Publishing Company.
- Nice, K. & Myers, M. (2016) Scatter Happiness Inside and Out: Using Mindfulness to Promote Well-Being, Compassion and Gratitude. Women’s Leadership Conference. University of North Carolina-Wilmington. February 2016.
- Myers, M. A. (2015). New Student Affairs Professionals’ Beliefs and Perceptions about Faculty: Real Life Stories and Lessons Learned. North Carolina College Personnel Association (NCCPA) Conference, Elon University, Elon, NC, October 2015.
- Myers, M. A. (2014). Enhancing Collaboration by Examining Faculty and Student Affairs Professionals through an Intercultural Lens. American College Personnel Association (ACPA) National Conference, Indianapolis, IN, April 2014.
- Myers, M.A. (2013). Team Building and Motivation. Dean of Student’s Staff Retreat, Louisburg College, Louisburg, NC, June 2013
Outstanding Contribution to the Profession Award, NCCPA
Outstanding State and International Division Leader Award, ACPA
Chancellor’s Synergy Award, ECU
Outstanding Service, Residence Life, ECU
American College Personnel Association
Association of Deans and Directors of University Colleges
National Academic Advising Association
National Association of Advisors for the Health Professions
Omicron Delta Kappa, The National Leadership Honorary
Association of College and University Housing Officers-International
Southeastern Association of Housing Officers
North Carolina Housing Officers
Higher Education Administration
College Student Development