John R Malpass Ph.D.
Part-time Faculty - Glenn R. Jones College of Business
I want to welcome each one of you to this course. I am here to help you succeed and will do all that I can to make this happen for you. Please keep me posted if something unusual comes up in either your professional or personal lives that I can help you with.
First, thank you for pursuing your education here at Trident. I’ve taught for Trident for almost eight years, and have found the faculty and students to be among the best in the country. Our highly successful teaching methodology the Robust Learning Model (RLM) employs proven case-based and applied online learning methodologies proven to give students the real-world learning, strategies, and skills they need to succeed in their desired profession. We also offer aspiring, dedicated students with an inspirational, collaborative community of learning where students, staff, and faculty work together to achieve each student’s individual academic goals.
We at Trident are here to help you achieve your dreams, so reach out to us, tell us what your dreams are and how we can help you achieve them. And just like you, we like to hear how we are doing, so let us know if we are doing well or if you feel we need to improve.
- Master of Business Administration
- (2004, September). Methods, systems, and computer products for creating and delivering prescriptive learning. U.S. Patent.
- (2001, October). How to Select a Learning Management System. Paper presented at the Online Learning Conference, Los Angeles, CA.
- (2001, March). How to Select a Learning Management System. Paper presented at the Training 2001 Conference, Atlanta, GA.
- (2001, February). How to Select a Learning Management System. Paper presented at the European Online Learning Conference, Hammersmith, UK.
- (2000, June). Instructional Design for Web-Based Training. Paper presented at the annual CBM TEDS users conference, Atkins, VA.
- (1999, May/June). Self-Regulation, Goal Orientation, Self-Efficacy, Worry, and High-Stakes Math Achievement for Mathematically Gifted High School Students. Roeper Review, 21(4), 281-288.
- (1997, April). Factorial Validity of the Self-Regulation Questionnaire. Paper presented at the annual meeting of the American Educational Research Association, Chicago, IL.
- (1996, April). Self-Regulation Goal Orientation, Self-Efficacy, Worry, and Math Achievement. Paper presented at the annual meeting of the American Educational Research Association, New York, NY.
- (1996). Yap, E. G., Malpass, J. R., & O’Neil, H. F., Jr. Ethnic differences in self-regulated learning and mathematics achievement. Unpublished manuscript.
- Status: Veteran
- Branch: Army (Infantry)
- Rank: Lt. Col.
- Years: 20
These are some of my awards and decorations from the Army:
- Silver Star
- Legion of Merit
- Bronze Star with a “V” device and two oak leaf clusters
- Purple Heart with one oak leaf cluster
- Meritorious Service Medal with one oak leaf cluster
- Air Medal
- Army Commendation Medal with “V” device and one oak leaf cluster
- Army Achievement Medal
- Seven other “I was in” or “I was there” decorations
I retired from IBM’s Learning Services Division ten years ago, last March. My job title was an IBM certified senior project manager, where I managed several e-learning projects (mostly e-Learning Portals for corporate universities). It was exciting for me because IBM allowed me to become an "Intrapreneur," and start my own business within the confines of IBM. I’m also certified as a Project Management Professional (PMP).
I retired from the Army after 20 years in the Infantry, spent 11 years in project management at McDonnell Douglas, and 2-1/2 years managing projects for Becker Multimedia, Inc. (a “mom and pop” multimedia shop) as Director of Operations. In addition to business administration and management, I'm also interested in learning theory and the psychology of learning, which probably stems from my doctorate in Educational Psychology.
I have been married to Dede (the shrink) for 51+ years. I have a son who studied to be a chef at the CIA (Culinary Institute of America) and who is now the Executive chef at one of our exclusive, local Country Clubs. He has a 20-year old son and a daughter born on 09/09/09! (I call her Nina!) My daughter is the marketing manager for a time share company in New Bern, NC. She has a young son of 15 and a beautiful daughter, who was 11 years old this past November! Grandkids are great!
My hobbies are (trying to play) golf, collecting and growing bonsai, making stained glass lamps and windows, bird watching, and working out to stay somewhat fit.