Dr. Rudolph R. Bustos
Department Chair in Homeland Security - College of Health and Human Services
Dr. Bustos is the Department Chair for the MS in Homeland Security, and BS in Homeland Security Programs, College of Health and Human Services, Trident University. He has 48 years cross-field experience including: (a) psychological, (b) educational, (c) social work, and (d) emergency and disaster management.
Dr. Bustos has been with TUI since 2006 and is the Department Chair for Homeland Security Programs, College of Health and Human Services. He has completed: Terrorism-related courses with Department of Defense and Naval Postgraduate School (CHDS); FEMA; Continuing education units with Harvard Medical School; Military Health Systems Training (Traumatic Brain Injury) with Department of Defense; Military Mental Health Series with Massachusetts General Hospital Psychiatry Academy.
His experience with soldier assessment began in US Army, 1969, assisting in psychiatric evaluations of enlisted men returning stateside from Vietnam. Dr. Bustos is versed with psychological assessment instruments as well as psychosocial and diagnostic inventories. He has led conference on Pre-Deployment Psychological Briefing Methodology: A Sense of Coherence (SOC) Model–US Army Center for Health Promotion and Preventive Medicine, Albuquerque, NM; Homeland Security: Online Educational Model for Mass Trauma Intervention, Orlando, FL.
Dr. Bustos received his PhD in Education from Capella University, M.Ed. in Guidance and Psychological Services from Springfield College, and B.A. in Psychology from Westfield State College.
- Bachelor of Science in Homeland Security
- Master of Science in Homeland Security
- Bustos, R. R., & Goldstein, S. (2008). Including blood lead levels of all immigrant children when evaluating for ADHD. Journal of Attention Disorders, 11(4), 425-426.
- Gabriel, R. and Lester, J. N. (Eds.). (2013). Counterpoints: Studies in the postmodern theory of education. [Review of the book: Performances of research: Critical issues in k-12 education, by R. Bustos]. NY: Peter Lang. Available from Education Review. w
- Bursztyn, A. M. (Ed.). (2011). Making sense of psychology. [Review of the book Childhood psychological disorders: Current controversies, by R. Bustos]. Connecticut: Praeger.
- Bustos, R. R. (2007). Using jigsawing in second language acquisition by migrant Hispanic children in Kansas. In M.C. Brown II. (Ed.), Still not equal: Expanding educational opportunity in society. New York: Peter Lang.
- Bustos, R. R., and Levy, P. A., (2015). Homeland security: Online educational models for mass trauma intervention integrated pedagogy. Journal of Homeland Security Education. 22-23.
- Presenter, Strategies in Workplace Harassment, University of Kansas Medical Center workshop for health care professionals, Hays, KS June 4, 2003
- Co-Presenter, Pre-Deployment Psychological Briefing Methodology: A Sense of Coherence Model. 11th Annual Force Health Protection Conf., US Army Center for Health Promotion and Preventive Medicine, Albuquerque, NM. Aug, 14, 2008
- Co-Presenter, Homeland Security: Online Educational Model for Mass Trauma Intervention, 9th Annual Homeland Defense and Security Education Summit, Orlando, FL. Sept. 26, 2015
- Status: Veteran
- Branch: US Army
- Rank: Specialist 4th Class
- Years: 2 Years
- Accolades: US Army -- Vietnam Era September 1968 to September 1970 Social Work Technician (MOS91G20), Assigned to HHC, USA MEDDAC, Fort Jackson Army Hospital, Fort Jackson, SC. Duty Post: Ward 40-- Psychiatric Ward Social Worker, Reported to: MAJ Ian S. Gale, MD. Conducted history intakes of enlisted men for: Voluntary psychiatric evaluations; for non-voluntary evaluations of soldiers returning from Vietnam; and, from medical-surgical wards in the hospital. Conducted in-Ward group sessions for personnel suffering from psychological trauma (currently known as PTSD).
Kappa Delta Pi Honor Society
Presidential Sports Award, Karate, June 22, 1992
- First Responders Communities of Practice: Department of Homeland Security, Science & Technology.
- University Partner, Naval Postgraduate School, Center for Homeland Defense and Security.
- International Association of Emergency Managers
- American Association of University Professors.
- Disaster Management
- Civilian and Military Social Work
- Cognitive Neuroscience