Next Session Apply Today

Post 9/11 GI Bill® (Chapter 33)

The Post-9/11 GI Bill® (GI Bill is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs) veteran education benefits provide financial support for education and housing* to individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service on or after September 11, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days. You must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill®.

*In order to receive the full housing allowance you must attend an in-residence class. This is further discussed under "Monthly Housing Allowance (MHA)".


Please visit the GI Bill® website at for eligibility requirements.

What is my percentage of eligibility?

Percentage of eligibility is based on the duration of service as well as other factors which are calculated by the Department of Veterans Affairs. If you do not know your percentage of eligibility, please contact the Financial Aid Department at so that they can provide you instructions on how to retrieve it.

What if I'm already using my Montgomery GI Bill® and want to switch to the Post 9/11 GI Bill®?

If you are eligible for Montgomery GI Bill® on August 1, 2009, and you have met the eligibility requirements for the Post-9/11 GI Bill®, you may elect to receive benefits under the new program. Please contact the VA Regional Office prior to transitioning from one chapter of entitlement to another as the relinquishment of chapters may occur in the transfer process. The relinquishment process is irrevocable.

Transfer of Eligibility

Details regarding Transfer of Eligibility can be found on the Department of Defense website.

How do I receive TOE benefits?

  1. The service member must apply to transfer his/her eligibility to a dependent with Department of Defense.
  2. Once the service member receives the approval from the DoD, the dependent must apply for their benefits with the VA (form 22-1990e).

How to Use Your Benefit with Trident University

Submit your VA paperwork to Trident University

Send Trident University a copy of your certificate of eligibility (COE) or copy of your VA application confirmation page to the Financial Aid Department. If you have never applied for your Chapter 33 education benefits complete the VA application online (VA Form 22-1990).

If you have used your Chapter 33 benefit with another school, you will need to transfer your benefits to Trident University with the Change Program/Place of Training application (VA Form 22-1995).

You will need to save a copy of the application confirmation page and forward it via email to or via fax to 714-364-9570. Be sure to indicate the chapter of entitlement you submitted on the VA Form 22-1995 on the fax cover sheet.

Register for your classes

When you register for your courses at Trident University, choose "Veteran Benefits" as your method of payment. If you are unable to do so, please inform a VA certifying official that you are planning on using your VA benefits for that session.

Settle your tuition

You will be required to settle your Trident tuition directly in order for you financial hold to be lifted. Please contact the Student Finance Department for settlement options.

Payment Rates

Please visit the GI Bill® website for the most up to date information on payment rates.

Parent School Letters

The VA will not fund tuition for two degrees simultaneously at two institutions without prior approval from the degree granting school. All courses taken at the secondary school must be preapproved by the primary school in order to be certified with the VA. Once the courses are approved, the VA School Certifying Official at the parent school will provide the secondary school a copy of the approved parent school letter.

How do I get a parent school letter from Trident University?

  1. Ensure all official transcripts are on file with Trident.
  2. Review your degree plan with your Educational Advisor at Trident University and verify which courses would be best to transfer into Trident University.
  3. Visit your Secondary School to verify if they have a course which may be compatible to the course(s) that your Educational Advisor recommended.
  4. Contact your VA School Certifying Official for a VA Parent Letter form and complete accordingly. They can be reached at
  5. The completed Parent School Letter can be returned to your VA SCO.
  6. Your VA School Certifying Official will submit your Parent School Letter for review to the Articulations Department. (Please note that the review may take up to two weeks pending receipt of all official transcripts).
  7. Your School Certifying Official will notify you of the result of your request accordingly.

Monthly Housing Allowance (MHA)

Trident University is a "distance learning" (online) school, and therefore in order to receive 100% of the MHA, you are required to take an "in-residence" course at a local school in addition to your online course(s). The course must be approved for credit transfer towards your degree program. Students must be enrolled in a cumulative of 12 units between the two institutions.

Do I get MHA while enrolled in distance learning?

Housing allowance is now payable to Veterans and their dependents (so long as the Veteran is not on active duty) enrolled solely in distance learning. The housing allowance payable is equal to ½ the national average BAH for an E-5 with dependents.

How do I receive the full amount of Monthly Housing Allowance (MHA) while attending Trident University?

In order to receive the full MHA you must be enrolled in a cumulative of 12 units between Trident University and an in-residence class. Follow the instructions from the previous sections to obtain a Parent School Letter. Submit your letter to your VA coordinator at your secondary school. Your secondary school will be responsible to certify you for the course(s) you take at their institution pending receipt of the approved Parent School Letter.

How much will I get for the MHA?

Your MHA will be determined by the ZIP code of the "in-residence" course(s) school location. You may search your rate here. `If you are not attending any other school, your rate will remain at half of the national average of the housing allowance.

How do I receive half of the national average in BAH?

In order to receive half of the national average in BAH, you must be enrolled full time each session. Full time is considered 8 units (2 courses) per session at the undergraduate levels and 4 units (1 course) per session at the graduate level. Once you have registered and chosen VA as your tuition method, we will submit your Enrollment Certificate to the Department of Veterans Affairs. The VA will determine if you are eligible for the BAH and disburse the funds to you directly. For detailed information, please feel free to contact the VA education line at 888-442-4551.

Yellow Ribbon

Trident University is proud to be a participating institution of the Yellow Ribbon GI Education Enhancement Program.

The Yellow Ribbon program is a provision of the Post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008. This program allows institutions of higher learning (degree granting institutions) in the United States to voluntarily enter into an agreement with VA to fund tuition expenses that exceed the public in-state undergraduate tuition rate.

Currently, Trident may contribute up to 50% of those expenses and VA will match the same amount as the institution.

Eligibility and Application Process

Only veterans entitled to the maximum benefit rate (based on service requirements i.e. 100%) or their designated transferees may be eligible for the Yellow Ribbon Program. Active duty service members and their spouses are not eligible for this program (child transferees of active duty service members may be eligible if the service member is qualified at the 100% rate). A copy of your most current eligibility letter will be required for review to verify that you have exceeded the annual tuition cap before we can initiate the Yellow Ribbon Program.

Helpful Links and Phone Numbers