SEAC(r) William J. "Joe" Gainey
Military Advisory Board Member
Trident Graduate | Class of 2007 / 2017 / 2018
William J. (Joe) Gainey was the first Senior Enlisted Advisor to the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff (SEAC). He retired after 33.5 years of service to his nation on April 25, 2008 with the rank of Command Sergeant Major. Joe served as NCO for 32 years, 13 of which as a Command Sergeant Major (CSM).
Joe was the first Senior Enlisted Advisor to the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, a newly created position established to advise the Chairman on matters of professional development of enlisted personnel for a joint environment. He was the first person selected to serve in this position beginning October 1, 2005 making him the most Senior Enlisted Noncommissioned Officer (NCO) in the Department of Defense.
Joe enlisted in the Army under the Delayed Entry Program in 1974 and entered basic training at Fort Knox, Kentucky on 17 June 1975. Since then, he has served in every leadership position in the United States Army.
After retirement Joe worked for the Joint Improvised Explosive Device Defeat Organization (JIEDDO) located in Washington DC for approximately one year before establishing WGainey Consulting as an independent consultant.
Joe’s son Captain Ryan J. (Joe) Gainey is the Commander of Bandit Troop, 3rd ACR, Fort Hood, TX and his son-in law, SSG Jeffrey Roberts, is with the 4th Ranger Training Brigade, Fort Benning, GA.
Joe has been married to the former Cindy Chunn of Mississippi for 34 years.
- Status: Retired
- Branch: Army
- Rank: Senior Enlisted Advisor to the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff (SEAC)
- Years: 33
- Accolades: LIST OF MEDALS AND RIBBONS: Army Distinguished Service Medal; Defense Superior Service Medal; Legion of Merit (with 1 Bronze Oak Leaf Clusters); Bronze Star (with Valor device); Meritorious Service Medal (with 1 silver and 2 bronze Oak Leaf Clusters); Army Commendation Medal (with 1 silver and 2 bronze Oak Leaf Clusters); Army Achievement Medal (with Oak Leaf Cluster); Army Good Conduct Medal (silver clasp with 5 loops); Joint Meritorious Unit Award; Army Superior Unit Award; National Defense Service Medal (with 2 service stars); Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal (with 2 service stars); Iraq Campaign Medal; Global War on Terrorism Service Medal; Armed Forces Service Medal; NCO Professional Development Ribbon (with "4" award numeral); Army Service Ribbon; Army Overseas Service Ribbon (with "4" award numeral); NATO Medal (with 2 service stars); German Sports Badge (Sportabzeichen in Bronze). BADGES: Combat Action Badge; Master Parachutist Badge; Joint Chiefs of Staff Identification Badge; Drill Sergeant Identification Badge; Pathfinder Badge; Expert Rifle Badge; Gold Medallion of the Honorable Order of Saint George, United States Armor Association; Silver Medallion of the Ancient Order of Saint Barbara, Air Defense Artillery Association. FOREIGN DECORATIONS AND AWARDS: German Armed Forces Badge of Marksmanship (Schützenschnur in Bronze); German Sports Badge (Sportabzeichen in Bronze)
- MS in Leadership - Trident University International (2018)
- MA in Education: Teaching and Instruction - Trident University International (2012)
- BS in Business Administration - Trident University International (2007)