Public Health and Health Equity in Local and Global Communities
Ph.D. Health Sciences
Stand out in your field and pursue your Ph.D. in Health Sciences with Trident!
Our Ph.D. HS online program puts you on the forefront of an ever-changing field by learning, developing, and applying innovative research methods to improve your understanding of and ability to influence the field of health sciences.
The Ph.D. represents the highest level of achievement in any academic discipline. We are proud to offer a rigorous research-based degree program resulting in a Doctor of Philosophy in Health Sciences. We offer concentrations in global health and health policy and administration.
The purpose of our online Doctor of Philosophy in Health Sciences program is to prepare professionals from health and health sciences related fields to fill the roles of leaders, educators, executives, researchers, consultants, and scholars. Help to Improve society as a competent and caring professional by earning your Ph.D. HS online where you will be on the forefront of a dynamic field in our challenging and highly rewarding doctoral program.
Our online doctoral degree program helps you:
- Articulate, in a comprehensive manner, research theories and their applications to specific areas of health sciences.
- Create scholarly work based on rigorous research and present it verbally to general and specialized audiences.
- Develop evidence-based assertions through application of appropriate research methods and statistical tools.
- Formulate research questions based on gaps identified through critical evaluation of information sources.
- Utilize critical thinking to construct and execute a scientific research study and defend it through the prospectus, proposal, and dissertation process.
- Investigate core issues in health sciences from diverse viewpoints, through a variety of methods of inquiry.
- Identify ethical challenges within the context of the health sciences and design strategies for functioning with integrity.
Seamlessly blend life, learning, and leading with our affordable 100% online doctoral programs.
Trident University International is 100% online and offers a variety of doctoral program lengths—enabling students to adjust completion time to fit their own schedules. There are no in-person attendance requirements. Keep living, keep working, start learning. Learn More
Trident extends a generous policy regarding required credits. Our programs are focused and efficient regarding required credits and your total required credits may be reduced based on potential transfer credits from other accredited institutions*; we may also consider awarding potential credits for prior learning.
You will be aligned with a doctoral faculty member who will provide individualized guidance during the research phase of the program. A Student Success Advisor will be assigned to you for personal assistance with administrative matters throughout your enrollment.
Trident has an extensive and involved alumni network that can be a key resource for you throughout the program. Learn More
Trident University International is a member of the American InterContinental University System. The System is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (hlcommission.org), an institutional accreditation agency recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. Learn More
Trident is competitively priced. There is no application fee, no lab fees. Learn More
*Transfer credit is evaluated on an individual basis. Not all credits are eligible to transfer. See the University Catalog for transfer credit policies.
Earn a Ph.D. in Health Sciences From a 100% Online University
"You can feel the passion from the instructors." – Lois S., Alumna. Read what Trident graduates are saying about their academic program.
Meet Our Faculty
Our online faculty helps students build their expertise through intensive coursework and outstanding learning experiences.
Discover the Trident Difference
Six degree programs, highly-qualified and devoted professors, program and research flexibility.
Our highly structured programs, consistent support, and compassionate commitment mean you stay on top of your goals and complete your program in a timely manner.
Change the World
Follow your passion project, connect with like-minded peers, apply your knowledge to further your career, and change your world for the better!
Program Overview – What Students Can Expect
The College of Health and Human Services offers the Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) in Health Sciences degree with a variety of concentrations to choose from. Our Ph.D. HS students conduct studies in various fields including public health, global health, health disparities, epidemiology, health education, nursing research, health research, allied health research, health policy, health administration, environmental health, physical therapy, occupational health, molecular biology, and many others.
Key aspects and offerings of the program include:
- Core courses covering research methods and theory within the field of health science, and concentration courses to immerse the student in current topical research
- A comprehensive exam which allows the student to measure progress and demonstrate their ability and preparedness to complete their dissertation research
- A dissertation committee selected by the student based upon research interests, consisting of a minimum of three Trident faculty members to provide guidance through the entire dissertation process
- Resources including ePortfolio and 800 Dissertation Tasks Course—a single place to record and save everything related to dissertation development
- Valuable webinars for any-time access to numerous recordings covering a wide range of research related topics
- Trident’s Student Gateway, with links to helpful resources for the doctoral candidate
See the Trident Catalog for full descriptions of all program course offerings.
Prepare to take the lead in our virtual classrooms and in your career. If you are ready to take this important next step, apply online now. The documents specified below are required for all Ph.D. applicants.
The full application will be reviewed holistically in terms of potential to succeed in the Ph.D. program. Prospective students are encouraged to submit an inquiry below for the PhD Health Sciences Program so that they can be contacted by an admissions advisor. Prospective applicants should have earned a 3.0 GPA minimum. Applications that do not meet our requirements will be reviewed on a case by case basis.
You are required to take at least five research methods courses and two required theory courses in the field of health sciences. These courses will provide the foundation for your pursuit in specialized concentrations. All courses are four semester unit courses. The last course taken prior to the dissertation series is the required DHS699, Dissertation Seminar.
Trident accepts eligible doctoral level credits from regionally accredited doctoral granting institutions provided the transferred course meets the same content standards as the Trident course.*
Note: Students may be required to purchase statistical software for the quantitative research courses and dissertation research.
*Transfer credit is evaluated on an individual basis. Not all credits are eligible for transfer. See the University Catalog for transfer credit policies.
You may choose one of the concentrations offered in the Ph.D. Health Sciences program. Twelve elective credit units are needed to fulfill the concentration requirements:
- Global Health - This concentration focuses on global health and will explore how globalization impacts determinants of health and disease. Courses include Current Issues in Global Health Research, Global Epidemiology, Introduction to Health Equity, and Special Topics in Health Science and Public Health.
- Health Policy and Administration - This concentration prepares leaders in health policy and administration through evaluation, development, analysis, and implementation of health and health policies. Courses include Advanced Leadership, Health Care Law, Regulation and Ethics, Current Issues in Health Administration, Seminar in Strategic Planning for Health Sciences, and Special Topics in Health Science and Public Health.
The comprehensive exam (or qualifying exam) includes a written and an oral portion. You will be examined on your understanding of theory, research methods, and statistical concepts related to the research process in your area. The comprehensive exam is scheduled during your first course in the dissertation phase of the program (DHS699).
A committee of two faculty members will review the written exam and send their recommendations to the Program Director on whether they think you are ready to proceed to the oral exam. If approved to proceed, you will sit for the oral exam within a week. During the oral examination you will defend the written portion and answer any pertinent questions from faculty members. One of the key objectives of the written and oral qualifying examination is to assess the ability and preparedness of the student to successfully complete their research-based dissertation.
If you fail the first attempt you will be given another chance to pass the qualifying exam. Failure in the second attempt will lead to disqualification from the program.
A dissertation committee and dissertation chairperson will be established for you. Each committee will consist of three faculty members with one serving as chair of the committee. One member of the committee or the chairperson must be external to Trident and at least one of the members are considered as a subject matter expert in the area of your dissertation research. The chairperson and the committee will be responsible for guiding you during the dissertation process.
You will show a synthesis of your doctoral study, knowledge and scholarship with a significant quantitative research project that contributes to general principles of knowledge in the field(s) potentially affected by the research. Furthermore, doctoral students may use qualitative research methods for their dissertation research provided they have a strong background in qualitative research. Following the completion of the course work including the Dissertation Proposal Seminar (DHS 699), you will work on the dissertation and register insubsequent sessions in the dissertation series (DHS 700, DHS 701, and DHS 702), and dissertation continuation courses (DHS 703 and above).
Pursuant to Federal law and regulations, Institutional Review Board (IRB) review and approval is required for research involving human subjects. Accordingly, prior to the student conducting research involving human subjects, including the collecting and analyzing of data, the proposed study must be reviewed and approved by the Trident IRB.
You will be required to complete 11 core courses (44 credits) and 3 elective courses within the chosen concentration (12 credits) for a total of 56 credits. Also, you must successfully complete both the oral and written comprehensive exam and complete the dissertation seminar/prospectus. Lastly, you will need to successfully defend the dissertation proposal and Ph.D. dissertation.
Tuition cost for the Ph.D. program:
|tuition type||per credit||per course||per year*|
|Retired Military / Veteran / And Their Immediate Family Members**||$885||$3,540||$14,160|
|Military & Immediate Family Members / Department of Defense Federal Civilian Employees**||$800||$3,200||$12,800|
|Active Duty, National Guard and Reserve U.S Military Service Members**||$800||$3,200||$12,800|
*Assumes no transfer credits and that student enrolls in an average of 16 credits per year. Does not include cost of dissertation continuation courses, the number of which vary based on dissertation completion date. **Tuition per credit represented with applicable military grant applied.
All per semester credit hour costs are for program level (600/700) courses. Students in the dissertation stage register for one course of four semester credit hours per session. In addition, there are dissertation continuation courses which are $800 per course at 0 credit hours.
- Books and Supplies: $0
- Course Materials: $0
- Diploma Copy: $30 (optional)
- Food, Housing, and Transportation: N/A
- Graduation Fee: $150
- Official Transcript: $10
- Other Expedited Shipping Fees: varies based on region
- Payment Plan Set-up: $35-$55 (non-refundable)
- Student ID Card: $10 (optional)
- Technology Fee: $0
- Other fees may apply and are subject to change without advance notice.
Seeking more information on the cost of attending Trident University? Visit Trident’s Financial Aid Resources page where you will find financial aid tools including Trident’s Net Price Calculator and Shopping Sheet, a guide to assist in early financial planning for college.
Want to save time & money on your degree? Receive credit for eligible past experience with Trident Fastrac. Click here to learn more.