Dr. Heidi Linn Smith, Dean of the College of Education
Ed.D. in Leadership
A Degree Designed for Current and Emerging Leaders
Are you currently in a leadership position in a traditional or nontraditional education environment or do you aspire to earn one? Consider our online Doctor of Education (Ed.D.) degree program to help you reach your goals and make an impact with an online Doctor of Education (Ed.D.) degree.
The Doctor of Education (Ed.D.) degree program is designed for current and emerging leaders who are ready to take the next step in their professional development. The College of Education is widely respected for producing an exceptional network of educators and scholars.
Every aspect of our doctoral program takes place online, ensuring flexibility for adult students. Our program will allow you to:
- Synthesize a broad, integrative knowledge of leadership theories, research, and practice to inform organizational practice.
- Integrate leadership theories to support an organizational culture that results in the success of employees and communities.
- Solve problems of practice using quantitative, qualitative, or action research methods that develop meaningful solutions to improve the success of organizations.
- Evaluate technology resources through the lens of learning theory to improve organizational outcomes.
- Utilize scientific reasoning, assessment metrics, or data to synthesize research or information sources to support successful organizations.
- Synthesize an understanding of responsive leadership practice and social justice to ensure equity in organizations.
- Apply ethical behavior, standards, and decision-making in accordance with the ethical and legal standards of the profession to foster professional knowledge and practice.
Seamlessly blend life, learning, and leading with our affordable 100% online doctoral programs.
Trident University International is 100% online and offers a variety of doctoral program lengths—enabling students to adjust completion time to fit their own schedules. There are no in-person attendance requirements. Keep living, keep working, start learning. Learn More
Trident extends a generous policy regarding required credits. Our programs are focused and efficient regarding required credits and your total required credits may be reduced based on potential transfer credits from other accredited institutions*; we may also consider awarding potential credits for prior learning.
You will be aligned with a doctoral faculty member who will provide individualized guidance during the research phase of the program. A Student Success Advisor will be assigned to you for personal assistance with administrative matters throughout your enrollment.
Trident has an extensive and involved alumni network that can be a key resource for you throughout the program. Learn More
Trident University International is a member of the American InterContinental University System. The System is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (hlcommission.org), an institutional accreditation agency recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. Learn More
Trident is competitively priced. There is no application fee, no lab fees. Learn More
*Transfer credit is evaluated on an individual basis. Not all credits are eligible to transfer. See the University Catalog for transfer credit policies.
Are you an All But Dissertation (ABD) student?
Were you unable to complete your doctoral program at another university? Trident offers an Ed.D. Degree Completion program for students who have started a doctoral degree at another institution, but for one reason or another, were unable to complete the program. Students must transfer a minimum of 28 doctoral level transfer credits and follow a program of study that focuses on the completion of the Doctoral Study.
"You can feel the passion from the instructors." – Lois S., Alumna. Read what Trident graduates are saying about their academic program.
Meet Our Faculty
Our online faculty helps students build their expertise through intensive coursework and outstanding learning experiences.
Discover the Trident Difference
Six degree programs, highly-qualified and devoted professors, program and research flexibility.
Our highly structured programs, consistent support, and compassionate commitment mean you stay on top of your goals and complete your program in a timely manner.
Change the World
Follow your passion project, connect with like-minded peers, apply your knowledge to further your career, and change your world for the better!
Program Overview – What Students Can Expect
The Doctor of Education (Ed.D.) in Leadership is designed for current and emerging leaders looking to lead complex organizations.
The Ed.D. in Leadership is a post-Master’s professional practice degree designed for the working professional. The content and expectations focus on knowledge skills and dispositions needed by practicing leaders to foster and sustain conditions within organizations that support continuous improvement. The Ed.D. in Leadership curriculum focuses on preparing leaders who can facilitate conditions to create organizations that will be effective, adaptable, and competitive.
The Doctor of Education in Leadership Degree Completion Program is intended for students who have achieved advanced standing at a prior institution and wish to complete their program at Trident. Students transfer a minimum of 28 doctoral-level transfer credits and follow a program of study that focuses on the completion of the Doctoral Study.
See the Trident University International Catalog for full descriptions of all program course offerings.
EdD students must complete all requirements in one of the available concentrations. The student will complete 12 semester hours of specialized coursework in an area of the student’s choice in addition to the core courses listed above.
- PK-12 Leadership Concentration - This concentration is intended for students currently holding leadership positions, or aspiring to obtain a leadership position in elementary and secondary education settings.
- Higher Education Concentration - This concentration is intended for students currently holding leadership positions, or aspiring to obtain a leadership position in a post-secondary education setting.
- Instructional Design - This concentration is intended for students currently holding leadership positions, or aspiring to obtain a leadership position in a military or civilian training program as an instructional systems specialist or instructional designer.
The Ed.D. Degree Completion program is designed to help students who started a doctoral program at another institution, but for one reason or another, were unable to complete their program and are seeking another university where they can complete their program.
Students must transfer a minimum of 28 doctoral level transfer credits and follow a program of study that focuses on the completion of the Doctoral Study.
A doctoral study committee will be assembled when students begin their research. Each committee consists of three faculty members, one of whom serves as chair of the committee. One member of the committee may be external to Trident and a practitioner in the field with an earned doctorate. The chairperson and the committee members will be responsible for guiding the student during the research process.
Pursuant to Federal law and regulations, Institutional Review Board (IRB) approval is required for research involving human subjects. Accordingly, prior to conducting research involving human subjects, including the collecting and analyzing of data, the proposed study must be reviewed and approved by the Trident IRB.
Tuition cost for the Ed.D. program:
|tuition type||per credit||per course||per year*|
|Retired Military / Veteran / And Their Immediate Family Members**||$685||$2,740||$10,960|
|Military & Immediate Family Members / Department of Defense Federal Civilian Employees**||$656.25||$2,625||$10,500|
|Active Duty, National Guard and Reserve U.S Military Service Members**||$656.25||$2,625||$10,500|
*Assumes no transfer credits and that student enrolls in an average of 16 credits per year. Does not include cost of any applicable doctoral study continuation courses. **Tuition per credit represented with applicable military grant applied.
- Books and Supplies: $0
- Course Materials: $0
- Diploma Copy: $30 (optional)
- Food, Housing, and Transportation: N/A
- Graduation Fee: $150
- Official Transcript: $10
- Other Expedited Shipping Fees: varies based on region
- Payment Plan Set-up: $35-$55 (non-refundable)
- Student ID Card: $10 (optional)
- Technology Fee: $0
- Other fees may apply and are subject to change without advance notice.
Seeking more information on the cost of attending Trident University? Visit Trident’s Financial Aid Resources page where you will find financial aid tools including Trident’s Net Price Calculator and Shopping Sheet, a guide to assist in early financial planning for college.
Want to save time & money on your degree? Receive credit for eligible past experience with Trident Fastrac. Click here to learn more.