Who can effect change for the better.
Jade T., BSHS | Class of 2018
Develop a firm foundation in the health sciences with an online Bachelor of Science in Health Sciences (BSHS) degree. This exceptional, fully online health sciences program will provide you with the learning experiences you’ll need to effect change for individuals, communities, and populations.
While attending our fully online bachelors degree program in health sciences, you will:
- Gain critical competencies and qualifications to help build your career.
- Be prepared to pursue graduate studies.
- Learn basic research skills so you can use and evaluate data.
- Develop the analytical and problem-solving skills you need as a health care professional.
- Expand your awareness of emerging trends and their potential impact on the health field.
- Connect with an exciting online college student body and be part of an extensive network of Trident health sciences alumni.
- Be mentored by dedicated and attentive faculty.
Online Health Sciences Degree Program Overview
In this 100% online college degree program, you will be prepared to work in a variety of settings, such as health departments, government, for-profit and non-profit health agencies, clinics, hospitals, businesses, and other health-related industries. The EdActive™ Learning Approach ensures you’ll be ready to apply your knowledge and skills in the real world after you graduate.
The Bachelor of Science in Health Sciences (BSHS) program provides a firm foundation in the health sciences to prepare graduates for entry and mid-level positions in public health and health care administration, or to pursue graduate education in a health-related field. Our mission is to produce highly competent, ethical, caring health professionals who can effect change for the better in communities, populations, organizations, and systems. We do this with an evidence-based, online teaching model and a student centered learning environment in which undergraduates can expand their knowledge and skills.
Students will hone basic research skills to use and evaluate data upon which health care managers, educators, administrators, and public health specialists base their decisions. Students will develop analytical and problem-solving skills required of such professionals. They will expand awareness of legal and ethical issues in the health field and will learn to recognize and appreciate the economic, political, and social environment in which health care functions. The courses in this program prepare graduates to work in a variety of settings such as health departments, government and voluntary health agencies, clinics, hospitals, businesses, and health-related industries.
See the Trident University Catalog for full descriptions of all program course offerings or contact Trident today to learn more.
I chose Trident because my husband is in the military and they were very supportive and flexible with my schedule and my husband’s military status.Maie L., BSHS: Health Care Management Class of 2015
The BSHS degree program prepares students to:
- Describe how social, economic, and political forces shape the health profession and the environment in which it functions.
- Communicate effectively with target audiences using various media.
- Apply foundational research information, and legal and regulatory principles within health science practice.
- Demonstrate information literacy in the health sciences field.
- Critically assess emerging trends and advances and their potential impacts on health science practice.
- Appreciate diversity and the roles of health professionals in multidisciplinary contexts.
- Articulate ethical values and practices to health-related decision making and problem solving.
This program is not designed to meet the educational requirements for a specific professional license or certification that is required for employment in an occupation. As such, Trident has made no determination regarding prerequisites for licensure or certification in any state or jurisdiction.
Your courses at Trident will give you a firm foundation in the health sciences. As a Bachelor of Science in Health Sciences (BSHS) student, you will take a variety of classes, including: Ethics in Health Care, Cross Cultural Health Perspectives, Health Behavior and more.
The BSHS requires 120 credits for degree completion. See the Trident University Catalog for all requirements and full descriptions of all course offerings. Students in the College of Health and Human Services are also required to meet Trident’s general education requirements as specified in our course catalog.
The College of Health and Human Services offers a Bachelor of Science in Health Sciences in the following areas:
- BSHS - No concentration
- BSHS - Concentration in Public Health
Choose from the following concentrations:
- Public Health
This is a general public health concentration (with no specialty areas) that emphasizes analyzing complex issues such as access to health care, disease and injury prevention, global health and sustainability, and promoting the health of populations and communities. You' ll learn to advocate for health, assess needs, and plan, implement, evaluate, and manage programs.
- Public Health - Environmental and Occupational Health & Safety
This focus area will equip you with an understanding of the interrelationships between environmental quality, occupational safety, and public health. Courses cover the impact humans have on the environment and also focus on environmental and occupational health regulations.
- Public Health - Health Care Administration
This focus area will prepare you for careers in health care administration and for graduate studies. Courses range from health care policy to ethical, financial, and legal aspects of health care.
- Public Health - Health Education
This focus area will prepare you to plan, implement, and evaluate health and human services programs. Graduates are eligible to take the Certified Health Education Specialist (CHES) examination through the National Commission for Health Education Credentialing (NCHEC). This is not a teacher credentialing or teaching certificate program.
- A diploma from an accredited or state approved high school or its equivalent
- Proof of English proficiency (international students only; see section on English Proficiency in the Trident University Catalog)
If you plan to transfer potential credit, please review our transfer policy.
Did you know, you could potentially take fewer classes and shorten time to graduation by passing a Trident Challenge Exam*? Undergraduate students can demonstrate their knowledge and, if successfully passed, earn credit toward their degree. Talk to your Student Success Advisor about this and other Prior Learning Assessment opportunities!
*The ability to reduce time in school and/or reduce tuition varies by campus and depends on the number of Trident Challenge exams successfully passed. Trident Challenge exam credits are unlikely to transfer. Not all programs are eligible for a reduction in time and money. Courses eligible are subject to change.
The following standard transfer policies apply:
- Transfer students are required to provide official transcripts of all prior academic work without exception.
- Prior academic work will be articulated during the admission process.
- All courses, whether applied to a program or general elective in transfer will be posted to the student' s permanent record.
- Transfer credits will not be included in the calculation of overall GPA.
- At the undergraduate level, students may transfer in credit no matter the date of completion. In cases where the content of a course is deemed outdated or no longer relevant / equivalent credits for that course will transfer as general elective credits only.
- Students may formally appeal transfer decision to the Provost or designee. Appeals must be submitted in writing within five business days and must be accompanied by supporting documents or evidence.
Tuition cost for the bachelors program:
|Tuition type||per credit||per course||per year*|
|Retired Military / Veteran / And Their Immediate Family Members**||$330||$1,320||$9,900|
|Military & Immediate Family Members / Department of Defense Federal Civilian Employees**||$250||$1,000||$7,500|
|Active Duty, National Guard and Reserve U.S Military Service Members**||$250||$1,000||$7,500|
*Assumes no transfer credits and that student enrolls in an average of 30 credits per year for 4 years.
**Tuition per credit represented with applicable military grant applied.
- Books and Supplies: $0
- Course Materials: $0
- Diploma Copy: $30 (optional)
- Food, Housing, and Transportation: N/A
- Graduation Fee: $150
- Official Transcript: $10
- Other Expedited Shipping Fees: varies based on region
- Payment Plan Set-up: $35-$55 (non-refundable)
- Student ID Card: $10 (optional)
- Technology Fee: $0
- Other fees may apply and are subject to change without advance notice.
Seeking more information on the cost of attending Trident? Visit Trident' s Financial Aid Resources page where you will find financial aid tools including Trident' s Net Price Calculator and Shopping Sheet, a guide to assist in early financial planning for college.
Want to save time & money on your degree? Receive credit for eligible past experience and military service with Trident Fastrac. Click here to learn more.
Faces of Trident
Meet LaBarbara Midgett, Trident BSBA in Logistics alumna. Read more as to why LaBarbara chose Trident to pursue her degree.
Their combined academic and professional experiences enhance their commitment to student success - meet your BSCS faculty members.