Next Session Apply Today

Dependent Education Assistance Program (Chapter 35)

Dependent Education Assistance Program (Chapter 35) provides educational benefits to the spouse and child or children of veterans who either passed away or became 100% disabled as a result of a service-connected disability.


Survivors and dependents are allowed up to 45 months of full-time benefits. Spouses have 10 years from the date of the veteran’s effective date of permanent and total disability rating or the veteran’s death. Eligibility is determined by the Department of Veterans Affairs – you can find detailed information on the GI Bill® (GI Bill is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs) website.

How to Use Your Benefits

Submit your VA paperwork.

Send a copy of your certificate of eligibility (COE) or a copy of your VA application confirmation page to the Student Finance Department. If you have never applied for your Chapter 35 education benefits complete the online application (VA Form 22-5490).

Register for your classes.

When you register for your courses at Trident University, choose Veteran Benefits as your method of payment. If you are unable to do so, please inform a VA certifying official that you are planning on using your VA benefits for that session.

Settle your Trident tuition.

Since the VA will send funding for tuition and fees directly to you, you will be required to settle your tuition with Trident University in order for your financial hold to be lifted. You can pay in full, set up a payment plan or utilize a different payer type. Students who are eligible for Veteran Affair’s Benefits may qualify for the 3 Pay Tuition Payment Plan. Please contact our Student Finance Department for settlement options.

Helpful Links and Phone Numbers

Main VA website | 888-442-4551

VONAPP (VA benefits application website)


Other VA benefits 800-827-1000

Direct Deposit 877-838-2778