Next Session Monday, September 11, 2023 Apply Today

Montgomery GI Bill® (Chapter 30)

The Montgomery GI Bill® (MGIB) program provides up to 36 months of education benefits. This benefit may be used for degree and certificate programs, flight training, apprenticeship/on-the-job training and correspondence courses. Remedial, deficiency, and refresher courses may be approved under certain circumstances. Generally, benefits are payable for 10 years following your release from active duty. This program is also commonly known as Chapter 30.


is determined by the Department of Veterans Affairs - you can find detailed information on the GI Bill® (GI Bill is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs) website.

How to Use Your Benefits

Submit your VA paperwork.

Send a copy of your certificate of eligibility (COE) or a copy of your VA application confirmation page to the Student Finance ;Department. If you have never applied for your Chapter 1606 education benefits complete the online application (VA Form 22-1990).

If you have previously used your Chapter 1606 benefit with another school, you will need to transfer your benefits to Trident with the Change Program/Place of Training application (VA Form 22-1995).

Register for your classes.

When you register for your courses at Trident University, choose Veteran Benefits as your method of payment. If you are unable to do so, please inform a VA certifying official that you are planning on using your VA benefits for that session.

Settle your Trident tuition.

Since the VA will send funding for tuition and fees directly to you, you will be required to settle your tuition with Trident University in order for your financial hold to be lifted. You can pay in full, set up a payment plan or utilize a different payer type. Students who are eligible for Veteran Affair’s Benefits may qualify for the 3 Pay Tuition Payment Plan. Please contact our Student Finance ;Department for settlement options.

Verify your enrollment with the VA each month

To receive your funds from the VA you will need to verify your enrollment with the VA on the last calendar day of each month you are enrolled. Enrollment can be verified online through the WAVE system or by calling 877-823-2378. You will receive your first check the month after the session begins.

Payment Rates and Buy-up Program (Kickers)

The monthly benefit paid to you is based on the length of your service, any Kicker funds you are entitled to, and your attendance being part-time or full-time. For current payment rates please visit the VA website.

What is the Buy-Up Program “Kickers”?

Some service members may contribute up to an additional $600 to the GI Bill® to receive increased monthly benefits. For an additional $600 contribution, you may receive up to $5,400 in additional GI Bill® benefits. The additional contribution must be made while on active duty. For more information contact your personnel or payroll office. For current buy-up rates please visit the VA website.

Top-Up (TA AND VA)

Active military students who are receiving military tuition assistance benefits are not eligible to use their VA benefits for the same course and session for which they are using their TA. If you are using military tuition assistance benefits and your TA does not cover the entire cost of tuition, you may use your VA benefits as Top-Up to cover the remaining balance.

How do I use Top-Up?

If you plan to use Top-Up, please contact the Student Finance department at

Helpful Links and Phone Numbers